“The Word of God is living and active.”

Hebrews 4:12

History

God’s Grace Since WWII

In Februrary of 1940, a group of Christians formed a congregation in Montrose, CO as members of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. They took the name St. John’s Lutheran Church, bought a little white church building on Park Ave., and remained there until 2001. At that time the congregation sold the building, bought new property, moved into a temporary storefront location, and changed their named to Living Word Lutheran Church.

In 2011 they purchased the current property on which they are now located (2820 Peyton Dr.) and built a 5000 sq. ft. facility with the help of Builders for Christ.

Living Word Lutheran Preschool opened a year later and operated in the fellowship area of the church building until 2016. In the Fall of that year Builders for Christ was utilized again for a 2000 sq. ft. addition that contains a large room for the preschool, an office, bathroom, storage room, and an extra classroom for Sunday School.

Throughout the decades the people, the leaders, the location, and the facilities have changed, but the same unchanging Word of God has always remained the same.